The 2017 Southeast Building Conference (SEBC) is upon us! This week’s event, taking place at the Gaylord Palms Resort & Convention Center in Kissimmee, FL is shaping up to be a grand event. The expo hall is sold out. Over 3,000 individuals have pre-registered to attend. You can receive all 14 hours of continuing education credits. Networking opportunities, including the After Dinner Bash on Thursday night, are endless. And last, but not least, SEBC this year will feature a Pub Crawl on Wednesday night to start it all off. In case you are wondering, it is not too later to register. Click here to register today!
As FHBA members, many of us find SEBC a great venue to learn, network, and explore new products and services. It is also another venue where we meet to move the association and its mission forward. Amongst the many governance meetings, our Governmental Affairs Committee will review the successes of this past session, and most importantly, begin prioritizing issues of importance for the 2018 Legislative Session. Issues, such as requiring more home owner input into the right to cure process and addressing the statute of repose bill, remain unresolved or were created during the 2017 Legislative Session.
Many legislators continue expressing an interest in changing the make-up of Florida’s Building Commission. Given the diverse make-up for the FHBA membership, it is incumbent that we get input from our diverse members. The GA committee, which meets on Friday, July 28 from 10:00 am – 12:00 pm, is planning an open mic session for FHBA members to express opinions about the Building Commission’s make-up.
With all this activity, FHBA would remiss if we did not offer key policy makers an opportunity to meet our members. Here is the impressive line-up of Legislators and Candidates joining us at SEBC to meet you, our members:
Governmental Affairs Meeting: Friday, July 28 at 10:00 AM:
• Rep. Blaise Ingoglia: an FHBA member and Chairman of the Florida Republican Party
• Rep. Katie Edwards, a land-use attorney who advocates for strong private property rights
• Sen. Denise Grimsley: Chair of the General Government Appropriations Sub-committee and candidate for • Agriculture Commissioner (John Wiseman of Core Construction is hosting a meet and greet for Sen. Grimsley on Thursday evening at the Gaylord Palms)
PAC 1,000 Club Reception: Friday, July 28 at 6:00 PM:
• Sen. Greg Steube: Chairman of the Senate Judiciary Committee and FHBA member
FHBA Board Meeting: Saturday, July 29 at 10:00 AM:
• Sen. Tom Lee: Chairman of the Community Affairs Committee and CFO of Palm Construction
• Jeremy Ring: Former State Senator and Candidates for State Chief Financial Officer
As you can see, this week’s SEBC is packed with opportunities for you as an individual and us as an industry. I hope to see you there!