Week Five of Legislative Session

Week Five of Legislative Session

For those following this year’s Legislative Session, you know that an enormous amount of construction related legislation has been filed. We made it through week #5 and most of FHBA’s issues are still in play for passage. In addition, the House & Senate passed their budgets and the Budget Conference process can begin. Funding of the Sadowski Trust Fund varies greatly between the two chambers. You may click here to view funding levels recommended by the Governor, Senate and House. The Governor and Senate recommend full funding. The House sweeps 60% and leaves the remaining 40% to be spent solely on areas affected by Hurricane Michael. The Sadowski Coalition annually creates Funding Sheets for each House and Senate member. These Funding Sheets are extremely informative and impressive. If you would like to view these Funding Sheets, please visit www.sadowskicoalition.organd click on their “Advocacy Tab”.

Here’s a quick snapshot of what happened during week #5. You may click here to view FHBA’s Bill Tracking Chart.

Collection of Impact Fees
HB 207 by Rep. Donalds & SB 144 by Sen. Gruters – These bills matched up and have passed the full House (101 to 12) & full Senate (39 to 1). HB 207 will be presented to the Governor. If he receives the bill during session, he has 7 days to sign or veto the bill.

Growth Management Package
HB 7103 by Rep. Fischer – Was amended in the Judiciary Committee to include impact fee language and passed on a vote of 11 to 7.  It has 1 more committee stop (State Affairs) and will ready for action on the House Floor.

SB 1730 by Sen. Lee – Was not heard last week but is scheduled to be heard in Infrastructure & Security on Tuesday. It will then have 1 more committee stop (Rules) before it can be heard on the Senate Floor.

Deregulation of Professions & Occupations
HB 27 by Rep. Ingoglia– Was amended in the Commerce Committee and passed on a vote of 18 to 4. It is ready for action on the House Floor.

SB 1640 by Sen. Albritton– Was heard in its first committee of reference, Infrastructure and Security. It is scheduled to be heard in Commerce & Tourism on Monday. It will then have 1 more stop (Appropriations) before it can be heard on the Floor.

Reduction of Construction Contracting Fraud
HB 877 by Rep. Grant– After much work and assistance from FHBA and VBC members, this bill was amended to remove all escrow language and passed the Commerce Committee on a vote of 20 to 0. It has 1 more committee stop (Judiciary) before it can be heard on the House Floor.

SB 1092 by Sen. Albritton – This bill has not been heard in any of its committees of reference.

Registered Contractor Licensing – Extends grandfathering for Electrical, Alarm & Specialty contactors
HB 763 by Rep. Watson & SB 604 by Sen. Pizzo – Both of these bills where reported favorably and passed unanimously in their respective committees. The House bill has 1 more stop (Commerce) and the Senate bill has 1 more stop (Rules) and then they can be heard on the Floor.

Mitigation Banking
HB 521 by Rep. McClure & SB 532 by Sen. Lee – These bills did not move last week but are queued up for Floor action this week.

Water Quality Improvements
HB 1395by Rep. Raschein – This bill has not been heard in any of its committees of reference.

SB 1758by Sen. Mayfield – Was amended in Community Affairs removing the moratorium on the issuance of building permits if local governments don’t implement newly created water plans and passed on a vote of 4 to 0. The bill’s next and last stop is Appropriations.

Onsite Sewage Treatment & Disposal Systems (DOH to DEP)
HB 973 by Rep. Payne – Was amended in Appropriations to clarify how “less than one acre” is calculated and passed on a vote of 29 to 0. It has 1 more committee stop (State Affairs) before it can be heard on the Floor.

SB 1022 by Sen. Albritton – Was not heard last week.

Private Property Rights – Technical issues dealing with the Bert Harris Act
HB 1383 by Rep. Grant – Was amended in Commerce and passed on a vote of 21 to 2. It has 1 more committee stop (Judiciary) before it can be heard on the Floor.

SB 1720 by Sen. Lee – Was TPd in its first committee of reference (Judiciary) but is scheduled to be heard again on Monday. It then has 2 remaining committee stops (Community Affairs & Rules)

Workers’ Compensation
HB 1399 by Rep. Byrd – Has not been heard in any of its committee of reference.

SB 1636 by Sen. Perry – Was amended in Banking & Insurance by Senator Perry and then he decided to TP his bill. We do not foresee any legislation being passed this session which deals with Workers’ Comp.

Assignment of Benefits
Many bills have been filed on this issue and have been moving through the committee process. FHBA continues to monitor this legislation to make sure nothing is filed which prohibits or limits contractors from being able to communicate with insurance companies regarding reimbursements.